Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  11:48 pm
Subject:  Re: singing and health (and weight)

> The
> ONLY way to effectively lose weight and maintain the
> loss is to eat smaller
> quantities of all healthy foods.

I can't believe I'm about to disagree with Dr. John,
but here goes. I have lost a decent amount of weight
over the past few months, slowly but steadily, by
incorporating daily exercise into my routine. While I
have altered slightly *what* I eat (more fresh fruits
and vegetables, less processed food), I'm still eating
about the same number of calories (I've added them up)
if not a little more. Exercising makes me hungry! It
also makes me lose weight (and two dress sizes :o).
Before I started this routine, I tried an extremely
low fat diet and found that I actually gained weight.
My theory is that my body figured it was being starved
and hung onto everything. A little fat can be a good
thing, and my taste buds are definitely much happier
now.

Bringing this back to singing, I find warming up my
voice much easier if I have exercised first. I have
also found that my resonance and breathing have
improved since I started exercising. Then again, I
feel better generally...

Jennifer