Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marjorie Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
"Marjorie Bunday" <mbunday@e...>
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  5:58 pm
Subject:  Re: file sharing and copyright issues

Isabelle Bracamonte
<ibracamonte@y...> wrote:

> Is it wrong (legally or morally) to put slices of each
> one up as a file on the vocalist-temporary egroups
> site? We're making such great use of the "files"
> system, but I'm not sure where "fair use" and
> educational purposes conflict with copyright [snip]

Sorry it took me so long, but I spoke with my friend who works as a
copyright examiner. He said that he can't provide any specifics, since he
doesn't directly deal with fair use issues. In his educated personal
opinion, it should be OK to put up short excerpts for purposes of example,
and he said the best rule of thumb is to keep it as short as possible.

Apologies if this has been addressed already on the list -- I'm waaaay
behind on digest reading

Marje
mbunday@e...
mbunday@e...