Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 16, 2001  1:30 pm
Subject:  Accompanists

> Regarding the abilities of one's accompanist - I have never had an
> accompanist tell me outright that they weren't willing to play music I
> chose. But perhaps a couple of them should have; I have had accompanists
> screw up enough things over the years, usually due to lack of preparation
> time for whatever reason, that I will only give highly challenging
> repertoire to pianists whom I know to be up to the task. This is a purely
> selfish choice, as I don't want to have to be worrying about them getting
> through a piece when my attention should be on what I'm doing.

as an accompanist myself, i can say that i think it is far preferable both
for the accompanist and the singer to decline to play certain music that the
accompanist knows he/she doesn't have the time or ability for. i think pride
may enter in here. i have made errors in judgment in the past when i didn't
refuse to do certain things when i should have.

emusic.com