Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  11:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] singing and health (and weight)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Reg Boyle wrote:

> Thank you for that John.
> Now how about this as an associated question.
>
> I'm in the 5th day of beginning an Atkin's Diet. I know there are
> reservations galore about this, just as there are about any form
> of diet, but given that this one is a NO carbohydrate diet, at least in the
> first 12 days, what are the implications for muscle and fold changes?
>
> Total exclusion of sugar meant a sudden energy loss but yesterday
> the 4th day my voice seemed to have restabilised. Feeling well
> today after breakfast of kippers and lettuce. : ) Do you personally
> find a ketogenic diet ill advised? Thanks Reg.
> ## I've lost nearly 5 pounds : )
> I'm 5'11" and started 108kg.

"NO CARBOHYDRATE DIET" is a misnomer that drives me ABSOLUTELY nuts!

Anyone who has even a basic understanding of nutrition knows that ALL
fruits and vegetables are, essentially, carbohydrates. Some have more
simple carbohydrates (sugars, starches), and others are predominantly made
up of complex carbohydrates, which require more digestion to break them
down into simple carbohydrates. But NONE of these diets is truly NO
carbohydrate. If you eat lettuce or spinach or green beans, you're eating
carbohydrates.

If you want to eat a truly NO carbohydrate diet, you will need to
eliminate not just grains, legumes, fruits, and starchy vegetables from
your diet - you will have to eliminate ALL vegetables and dairy products
(the latter are full of milk sugar) except those from which lactose and
other sugars have been entirely removed. The resulting diet: 100% meat
and fish, plus all the pure fats and oils you can eat. Yum!

Karen Mercedes
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: