Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  8:13 pm
Subject:  Translation for Gianni Schicchi

Hello everyone,
A small theater company in my town is going to be putting
on Gianni Schicchi next year, and somehow (I'm never sure
how these things happen!) I was tricked into being the
assistant director, as well as perhaps (hopefully!) singing
Lauretta. I barely knew the role, let alone the whole
opera, until a few days ago, and I'm only 16-years-old, but
my teacher really thinks that getting involved in this
production will build character. What this really means,
of course, is that I'm responsible for doing all the time
consuming busy work :) The opera is going to be performed
in English translation, because our audience is not a
particularly educated one, and my teacher assigned me the
task of finding a respectable translation that is singable,
true to the original libretto, and that preserves the
opera's humour. As I said, I am not particularly familiar
with Gianni Schicchi. What translation is most commonly
used? The one is my score (Ricordi) is by Anne and Herbert
Grossman. Is this a standard translation?

Many thanks to all who reply!

---Kate

8781 Re: Translation for Gianni Schicchi Linda Fox   Fri  1/26/2001   4 KB

emusic.com