Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
"Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  3:24 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] singing and health (and weight)

<<How odd. What are the risks (if any) of supplementing
with estrogen? I would imagine they wouldn't give it
to a young singer to smooth out the vocal bumps...>>

I would think the risks would be the same as for menopausal and
post-menopausal women - a slight risk of breast cancer, which, with my
family history of no cancer and lots of heart problems, is offset by a
lessening of the risk of heart problems. I wouldn't use estrogen as a
cure for anything vocal.

<<Also, does it cause the voice to lower? I know that
taking birth control pills can cause the voice to
irreversably thicken and drop in pitch.>>

I've never noticed a difference in my general pitch level on or off of birth
control pills. I've been taking them for a long time, with long gaps when I
didn't take them. I've always heard that they can cause the voice to drop,
but I've been back on them for 10 or 11 years now, and my voice sits higher
now than it ever has. Go figure.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo soprano

emusic.com