Vocalist.org archive

From:  marybeth smith <mbsmith.sing@s...>
marybeth smith <mbsmith.sing@s...>
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  2:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] starting over again

lyricanon@y... wrote:

> plunging in after a long absence......from the high
> board.
>
> here's the deal. i stopped singing for awhile (gulp).
> there were reasons why but they are no longer.
>
> now i am dying to sing except - i need help starting.
> please dont write and tell me just start.

Hooray for you for returning to your dream and passion!

I'd suggest getting some references to a couple of REALLY GOOD teachers
in your area. I mean teachers who are interested in working with
voices, not ones who want students who already have it all together.
:-> Call the teachers to set up appointments. Explain your situation,
take some tapes to the audition, and see if the teacher is willing to
work with you. I'm sure you'll find someone who'll be happy to help
you get ready for the next step of your career.

It's in the vulnerability you're feeling right now that you can discover
your passion for singing. The past is prologue for where you are now
and where you're ultimately going. Although you may experience
frustration at times (we all do), keep moving forward instead of staying
stuck in the memory of what was.

Best of luck!
MaryBeth Smith
Coordinator of Voice/Opera