Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  9:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] allergies + scratchy throat

DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Also, raise the humidity level in your home but be
careful that the level isn't too high, otherwise it could cause
mold/mildew to grow (more allergy problems!) or your windows to frost up
(if you live in a cold environment).

Scratchiness from allergies can effect the throat, inside of the mouth
(upper pallette), ears & eyes. Do you notice that this condition gets
worse after being in certain environments or at a certain time of the
year? That is something that you may want to take note of. i.e. My throat
is scratchy after I: wake up in the morning, dust or vacuum, when I come
home from work, worked in the garden, had the windows open or after I've
gone to such&such department store. Can the situation be changed or
avoided?

I have found that my throat gets scratchy if I don't drink at least 4-5
glasses of water during the 9 hours that I'm at work. I talk on the phone
quite a bit & my allergies are exacerbated by the fact that I work in a
dusty environment (the company I work for builds wood office furniture).

My own situation finds me taking allergy medicine (Claritin D 24 hr.),
herbal supplements (Nettle & Slippery Elm Bark) & using nasal sprays
(Nasacort & saline spray). Otherwise, I have so much post-nasal drip it
becomes difficult to sing, especially in the fall.

Pat