Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
"Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  4:31 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] hello + allergies & scratchy throat

<<Next, drink as much water as you can stand, typically a gallon a day, and
use a humidifier to keep your room humidity around 45%. Ask your doctor
about mucous thinning medication. Also, ask your doctor about manipulating
your medications so you get more relief and less drying effects, which are
common with antihistamines such as Allegra.>>

I have to say that I've followed most of these recommendations in an
attempt to battle the effects of my own allergies (still can't quite get
down that much water each day, though) and this exact combination of things
has made a huge difference in my voice. And I'm allergic to dust, which is
something like being allergic to air (at least in my house it is).
I was on Entex for years, not knowing how drying it could be, and it wasn't
until I got off it that my voice began to bloom. I'm not saying Entex is
wrong for everyone, but it certainly was for me. I now drink as much water
as I can, run a vaporizer in my bedroom each and every night, take a
Guaifenesin tablet every night and take a half dose of Zyrtec every night.
That particular combination has really made the difference for me, and I'm
singing not only better than I ever did, but better than I ever thought I
could.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com