Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  3:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Recital repetoire question

In a message dated 1/13/01 9:04:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, LYNDA313@a...
writes:

<< and you may find many opportunities to perform them [Ned Rorem's "Cycle of
Holy Songs"] later,
in addition to recitals. I know that I did. >>

Well, I'm sure you mean in church. Just make sure you have a somewhat
musically sophisticated congregation. The last time I did one of them, (they
are all Psalms so imminatly relevant) one of the more frank congregation
members said something to the effect, "Oh, that song went up high and then
low and all over the place. I didn't like it!" He has since left that
church, doubtless for another that offers Come to Jesus in whole notes. I'm
dying to do it again! It's been ages!

emusic.com