Vocalist.org archive

From:  john schweinfurth <voicemd@e...>
john schweinfurth <voicemd@e...>
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  2:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] hello + allergies & scratchy throat

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 21:37:17 -0000, vocalist-temporary@egroups.com wrote:

> Hello, although I've been lurking for a few months this is my first
> post to Vocalist. I am a 44 year old who has been singing for 3
> years.
> The question that has been frustrating the heck out of me, and lures
> me out of lurkdom, is this. I've been suffering from allergies for a
> long time, and 5 years worth of shots didn't work. .. one question still
> eludes me. That is, why do allergies cause tightness in the throat
> and a scratchy/raspy quality in the voice?
>
> I've done lots of things affecting the nose (steaming, nasal
> irrigation, steroid sprays 'tho with caution as they give me
> nosebleeds), and for allergies in general (Allegra). Some of these
> things, plus improvements in technique, have helped a little (I've
> never found any benefit from herbal remedies, though). But nothing
> seems to get at the problem in the throat. Sometimes it gets so bad I
> sound like a scratchy old Victrola record made in 1922. This can last
> for 2 months running and needless to say it's driving me crazy.

Dear (I didn't see a name),

The nose gets most of the notoriety for the allergic response, but the truth
is all mucosal surfaces and skin are capable of a full fledged allergic
reaction, this includes the stomach and bowels and the larynx. In addition,
drainage produced by the nose tends to find its way down to irritate the
throat and the larynx. The result is what your experiencing, irritation.

Many famous professional singers suffer from severe allergies, yet you would
never guess based on their performance. This is because they have figured
out what combinations of medications and maneuvers work best for them, and
they have good (ahem!) laryngologists.

One of the easiest things to do is to find out what your allergic to and
then avoid it like the dickens. If your allergies are worse now, you're
most likely allergic to indoor allergens, like dust, mold, mildew, pets, and
dust mites. Limiting your exposure to these things is a step by step
program, which I'm pretty sure you'll find in the archives because I've
listed it out before. You can also check out my website at
voicemd.yourdoctor.com for a link.

Next, drink as much water as you can stand, typically a gallon a day, and
use a humidifier to keep your room humidity around 45%. Ask your doctor
about mucous thinning medication. Also, ask your doctor about manipulating
your medications so you get more relief and less drying effects, which are
common with antihistamines such as Allegra.

Hope this helps!

John M. Schweinfurth, MD
Laryngology and Professional Voice Care
Assistant Professor
Penn State University Medical Center
Hershey, PA
(717) 531-6822

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8323 Re: hello + allergies & scratchy throat Lee Morgan   Sat  1/13/2001   3 KB

emusic.com