Vocalist.org archive

From:  snide76258@a...
snide76258@a...
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  1:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Recital repetoire question

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Elisabeth Kisselstein"
<zerbinetta713@h...> wrote:
> Hi all! My name is Lisa Kisselstein and I'm a lyric coloratura
soprano from
> (snowy) upstate New York and I find myself needing to come out of
my usual
> lurkdom to ask a repetoire question. I am prepping for my final
master's
> degree recital and need to find a good English set and possibly a
change in
> my German set. My teacher would like me to come in with a few
selections

Lisa-

I was thinking of the Rorem before you got to that point in your
message. I had a girlfriend do them when I was at Indiana, They are
good, but very difficult and VERY high. You might look at his "Cycle
of Holy Songs."

FWIW, I like the Argento. There are several Argento sets that are
good for soprano. If you've got "Art of the Song Recital" then you
have great listings of cycles. One problem I have found with doing
all complete cycles/groups on a prgogram, however, is that you get
locked into it time wise. You can't add or subtract a few minutes
here or there. I think it's good to have a t least one or two groups
that are made up of individual songs.

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com