Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elisabeth Kisselstein" <zerbinetta713@h...>
"Elisabeth Kisselstein" <zerbinetta713@h...>
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  6:28 am
Subject:  Recital repetoire question

Hi all! My name is Lisa Kisselstein and I'm a lyric coloratura soprano from
(snowy) upstate New York and I find myself needing to come out of my usual
lurkdom to ask a repetoire question. I am prepping for my final master's
degree recital and need to find a good English set and possibly a change in
my German set. My teacher would like me to come in with a few selections
with which to negotiate. So far I have:

Italian: Tornami a vagheggiar from Alcina (Handel)
Io ti levo l'impero dell'armi from Partenope (Handel)
French: Fantoches (Debussy)
Green (Debussy)
L'été (Chaminade)
Russian: Op. 38 by Rachmaninov (contains In My Garden, To Her, The
Daisies, The Pied Piper, Dreams, and Aa-Oo/The Quest)

My potential German set: Heiß mich nicht reiden (Schubert)
Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt (Schubert)
So lasst mich scheinen (Wolf)

Possible English: I was working on Argento's Songs About Spring but am
rapidly becoming unsure about it. I have a ton of music here at home and
have gone through The Art of the Song Recital for ideas but nothing (as yet)
has lept out at me. I was toying around with some of Ned Rorem's "Six Songs
for High Voice". Has anyone worked on these? I also came across the Ogden
Nash/Vernon Duke songs in Art of the Song Recital - I thought I remembered a
mezzo singing them at school - would these sit too low? I'm trying to avoid
the seemingly ubiquitous "Glitter and Be Gay" or Baby Doe's Willow Song.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm glad I found my way back to the list -
thank you Nancy M.!

Lisa Kisselstein

8311 Re: Recital repetoire question snide76258@a...   Sat  1/13/2001   3 KB
8312 Re: Recital repetoire question LYNDA313@a...   Sat  1/13/2001   2 KB
8321 Re: Recital repetoire question dorisopran@a...   Sat  1/13/2001   2 KB
8374 Re: Recital repetoire question wweiszflog   Mon  1/15/2001   4 KB
8380 Re: Recital repetoire question Karen Mercedes   Mon  1/15/2001   8 KB
8384 Re: Recital repetoire question Margaret Harrison   Mon  1/15/2001   2 KB
8388 Re: Recital repetoire question SMSchneider   Mon  1/15/2001   2 KB
8391 Re: Recital repetoire question Margaret Harrison   Mon  1/15/2001   3 KB
8392 Re: Recital repetoire question MFoxy9795@a...   Mon  1/15/2001   3 KB

emusic.com