Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sat Jan 13, 2001  1:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rep for Tenor and orchestra

>Hi everyone,
>I have a high-school tenor who is auditioning to sing at his commencement
>this June, and needs a piece that is for tenor and orchestra that would be
>appropriate for the setting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

A good one might be Schubert's "Glaube, Hoffnung und Liebe". The problem
(if it is one) is that there are two versions - the one for voice is with
piano only; the choral arrangement has orchestral accompaniment. I've
never heard the choral version, so I don't know if it's essentially the
same song, harmonized for chorus, or if it's a different song altogether,
just using the same text. I strongly suspect the former, because the choral
version is D.954 and the solo version is D.955. It's such a wonderful text,
if you CAN manage to wed the orchestral accompaniment with your solo
tenor's voice, it would definitely be worth it. You can read the text
online at: http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/k/kuffner/d955.html

Karen Mercedes
=====
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html