Vocalist.org archive

From:  anita.boomer@c...
anita.boomer@c...
Date:  Fri Jan 12, 2001  9:37 pm
Subject:  hello + allergies & scratchy throat

Hello, although I've been lurking for a few months this is my first
post to Vocalist. I am a 44 year old who has been singing for 3
years. It is still too early to say what my voice type is. I'm
currently working on "Caro mio ben", "Sebben Crudele" and "Ombra mai
fu".

The question that has been frustrating the heck out of me, and lures
me out of lurkdom, is this. I've been suffering from allergies for a
long time, and 5 years worth of shots didn't work. I checked the
archives and read many posts on the subject, but one question still
eludes me. That is, why do allergies cause tightness in the throat
and a scratchy/raspy quality in the voice?

I've done lots of things affecting the nose (steaming, nasal
irrigation, steroid sprays 'tho with caution as they give me
nosebleeds), and for allergies in general (Allegra). Some of these
things, plus improvements in technique, have helped a little (I've
never found any benefit from herbal remedies, though). But nothing
seems to get at the problem in the throat. Sometimes it gets so bad I
sound like a scratchy old Victrola record made in 1922. This can last
for 2 months running and needless to say it's driving me crazy.

Does anyone know what can be done about this? I'm determined not to
let allergies stop me from singing. Thanks.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8313 Re: hello + allergies & scratchy throat john schweinfurth   Sat  1/13/2001   4 KB
8323 Re: hello + allergies & scratchy throat Lee Morgan   Sat  1/13/2001   3 KB
8424 Re: hello + allergies & scratchy throat Robin L. Frye   Tue  1/16/2001   2 KB

emusic.com