Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jan 12, 2001  12:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Acting audition accent advice?

Elizabeth Finkler wrote:
> I'm auditioning for a couple of theater companies in the next couple of
> weeks. Both auditions require one song (no problem) and a memorized
> monologue.
>
> I thinking of using one of the Old Lady's speeches from "Candide," as I just
> played the role last summer. When I played the Old Lady, I used a weird
> half-Spanish half-French half-Yiddish accent. (She's easily assimilated,
> after all.) For the auditions, I thought I would use an accent, not as
> extreme as the performance dialect, but noticeable.
>
> Anyone think that this is a mistake? Should I just go with my normal
> civilized East Coast Fluffyan Usonian speech?

I don't think the accent would be a mistake, as long as you do enough speaking
during the
course of the interview in a "normal" accent, so that they know this isn't what
you do all
the time. Actually, it would show off your versatility with accents, which
could be a
selling point. And be prepared to be cast in character parts, since what
you're showing
them is a character part.

--
mailto:peggyh@i...