Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Date:  Fri Jan 12, 2001  6:23 am
Subject:  Re: What effect does singing have on physical health?

Sally asked:

vtec> I would like some information, even scientific, on the beneficial effects
vtec> of singing on health. I believe that it raises endorphins and that it is
vtec> cardiovascular. Does it improve core body strength? Does anyone have
vtec> experience of it clearing symptoms? I myself had a pupil who suffered from
vtec> sleep apnoea before learning with me (a condition in which breathing stops
vtec> in sleep and you wake fighting for breath) and told me that it had stopped
vtec> completely after learning to release her breath and sing freely. Feedback
vtec> would be gratefully received.

For me, the most noticeable benefit has been increased lung capacity,
which has occasionally saved my life, as I am asthmatic. My allergist
was thrilled many years ago to find out that I sing and was glad to
see me breathing deeply (from the abdomen).

Once I got serious and began practicing daily, my abdominal muscles
became very strong. No need for situps. :)

Vicki Bryant

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8262 Re: What effect does singing have on physical hea Mezzoid@a...   Fri  1/12/2001   2 KB
8273 Re: What effect does singing have on physical hea Mike & Vicki Bryant   Fri  1/12/2001   2 KB

emusic.com