Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Thu Jan 11, 2001  11:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Question: What effect does singing have on physical health?

Sally,

Since apnea has much to do with loose or excess tissue in the throat and velum
collapsing and obstructing the airway I don't see how studying voice would
relieve it. Weight loss can have an effect on it because of the loss of
adipose tissue but singing? I think not.

By the way, did this student tell you that others had noted that his apnea had
ceased or is this a self-diagnosis? If it's a self diagnosis it may be that he
no longer awakens himself during episodes of apnea or that something has
occurred to lessen the severity of the condition. It could be as simple as a
change of sleeping position.
Cindy Donnell