Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Jan 11, 2001  2:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] rep: music for cello and voice

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, April Salerno wrote:

> Hello Fellow Vocalisters!
>
> To fulfill my chamber music requirement this
> semester I will be working with a cellist friend of
> mine, and most likely a pianist also. The cellist is
> quite talented, and I'm a 20 yr old female vocalist-
> the jury is still out as to whether I'm a mezzo or a
> soprano.
>
> Does anyone know of any repertoire we could
> perform? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You don't say whether you want a single long work, or several short works,
so I'll suggest some of both. Since you don't know whether you're a mezzo
or a soprano, I'll suggest some of both:

Carrie Jacobs-Bond: A Perfect Day, for medium voice, piano, and cello
obbligato

Alessandro Scarlatti: Three cantatas for medium voice and cello with
keyboard: L'armi crudeli e fieri; Clori vezzosa, e bella; Mi ha diviso il
cor

Libby Larsen: Beloved, thou hast brought me many flowers, for
mezzo-soprano, cello, and piano

Anne Deane: Two Love Songs, for (low) soprano, cello, and piano

Oisten Sommerfeldt: Om kjaeerlighet, op 46, for (low) soprano and
cello

Brahms: Zwei Lieder, op. 91 - scored for viola, but work very well with
cello

J.S. Bach: Wenn kommt der Tag, an dem wir ziehen (aria from Cantata #70)
for cello and continuo (should be bassoon, but probably okay with piano)

J.S. Bach: Jesus ist ein guter Hirt (from Cantata 85)

Jeffrey Schanzer: A Mother's Story 1939-40 for mezzo soprano and cello

Vally Weigl: Songs of Remembrance, for mezzo, cello, piano

J.S. Bach: Offne dich, mein ganzes Herze; Bin ich gleich nur Staub und
Erde (arias from Cantata #61), for soprano and cello with continuo (should
be organ, but probably okay with piano)

David Nelson: Four Songs to poems of John Shaw Neilson, for soprano, one
cello (or viola or clarinet) and piano

Morton Feldman: Four Songs to ee cummings, for soprano, piano, and cello

Harrison Birtwistle: Niedecker songs, for soprano and cello

Lynn Gumert: Six Songs from the Japanese

James Wilson: Runes, for soprano and cello

J. Fontyn: Pro & Antiverb(e)s, for soprano and cello (12 minutes)

Nicola Ellis Andrews: You, for soprano and cello

Jonathan Besser: Duet for Soprano plus Cello (scored for cello-playing
soprano) (25 minutes)

Sally Beamish: Cramasie Threid, for soprano and cello

Alexander Popov: Salve Regina, for soprano and cello

George Frederick Handel: Se Pari e la Tua Fe, for soprano, cello, and
continuo

Mary Lee Scoville: Digressions, for soprano and cello

Michael Matthews: Songs of Travel, for soprano and cello (7 minutes)

Boguslaw Schaeffer: Out of Tune, for soprano and cello

Erik Bergman: Lament and Incantation - vocalise for soprano and cello (15
minutes long)

Peter Machajdik: Seven Songs for soprano and cello (or flute) (7 minutes)

Sofia Gubaidulina: Letter to the Poetess Rimma Dallosh

Ross Edwards: Maninya I, for voice and cello

Paolo Ugoletti: Indian Hymn

Pawel Yukaszewski: Aragena, for soprano and cello

Persis Vehar: Three from Emily, songs for high voice, cello, and piano

Pietro Yon: Gesu bambino, for high voice with violin or cello obbligato

Pauliina Isomaki: Kaksi laulua (2 songs) for mezzo-soprano and cello

Harri Vuori: Unen ja kuoleman laulut (songs of dreams and death), for
soprano and cello

Kaija Saariaho: Jing, for soprano and cello (8 minutes long)

Jennifer Fowler: Tell out my soul: Magnificat for soprano, cello and piano

Andre Previn: Four Songs for soprano, cello, and piano

Andre Previn: Vocalise for soprano, cello, and piano

Betty Roe: Madam's Three Callers, for soprano and cello

Ben Weber: Four Songs, op 40 for soprano or tenor with solo cello

Richard Wernick: The Oracle of Shimon bar Yochai, for soprano, cello, and
piano

Howard Boatwright: Lament of Mary Stuart for soprano and keyboard, with
cello or viola da gamba

Fred Katz: Make a Joyful Noise, for soprano, cello, and piano

Fred Katz: Song of Changes, for soprano, cello, and piano

Aaron Jay Kernis: Love Scenes, for soprano and cello (25 minutes)

Lori Laitman: Love Poems of Marichiko, six songs for soprano and cello

Leonard Bernstein: Dream with Me

There is also a book of arias with continuo and cello obbligato by baroque
composers Camilla de Rossi and Catterina Benedetta Grazianini, published
by ClarNan Editions.

Need more?

Karen
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: