Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  7:07 pm
Subject:  file sharing and copyright issues

My dear list,

Marika was asking about the mezzo aria from Bellini's
Capuleti, specifically about ornamentation and our
suggestions. I had a thought.

Although I don't have an extensive library of this
particular aria (not being a soprano aria), there are
some arias where I have six or seven different
versions for study and comparison.

Is it wrong (legally or morally) to put slices of each
one up as a file on the vocalist-temporary egroups
site? We're making such great use of the "files"
system, but I'm not sure where "fair use" and
educational purposes conflict with copyright. I
imagine I couldn't send up all seven arias whole and
uncut -- but to illustrate a certain phrase and
differing types of ornamentation or attacks or squillo
or whatever we're debating at the moment, a phrase? A
verse? Or nothing?

Just wondering.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...
ibracamonte@y...

8152 Re: Archiv Numbers. Reg Boyle   Mon  1/8/2001   2 KB
8155 Re: file sharing and copyright issues snide76258@a...   Tue  1/9/2001   2 KB
8156 Re: file sharing and copyright issues LYNDA313@a...   Tue  1/9/2001   2 KB
8157 Re: file sharing and copyright issues Marjorie Bunday   Tue  1/9/2001   2 KB
8441 Re: file sharing and copyright issues Marjorie Bunday   Tue  1/16/2001   2 KB

emusic.com