Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  4:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] warmth in the top

> A reassuring thought though, might be that people who listen to
> audition tapes (?!?, hopefully CD's!) should know about these
> difficulties and will hear a good voice 'through' a not perfect
> recording.
>
> P.S. How do you know your voice does not already have the kind of
> topnotes, your voice should have, at least at your age? See above.

All of what you said makes sense in my situation! The people who hear
me live are very appreciative and I do not receive any comments about
harshness (unless you count my old opera director who had _hearing aids_
which I undoubtedly rattled.) My teacher and coach say exactly what you
said about it being difficult to record voices like mine and have it do
me justice. I am just fearful of sending in the tape, because I don't
know if they are going to know that the sound they are hearing is not
the best I can do! I hope they will figure it out.
My teacher says that when I sing the way I sing in lessons it's
amazing. So I should just sing that way all the time. Maybe on
auditions I back off the resonance just a bit, which lessons the
colour. I can fix that.
Also: is there a relationship between having a big voice and not
getting into a Young Artist Program or school touring program? I have
had success in all other areas. I will be managed starting in late
Jan. but never did a YAP.????

emusic.com