Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  4:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] warmth in the top

Dear Gina and co vocalisters,

Gina wrote:
[...]It's so hard to record my voice, though! Aargh! When a competition
asks for a tape, I make myself crazy!!! Can't stand it.[...]

Dear Gina and co-vocalisters,

your kind of voice - however beautiful and thrilling it may sound in a concert
hall - does terrible things to microphones, speakers and sound technicians. It
is very hard to record, and even if recorded well, most speakers will make it
sound quite harsh.

When a recording is made, make sure a large membrane mike is used with a warm
sound. Or better: find a good sound technician. I am sure you know the 4LL
recording of Jessye Norman. The technicians just have been filtering her top
notes on a few places a bit amateurishly, to make them sound less harsh ( you
can hear this on the German (un)Democratic Republic recording, I don't know
whether the Philips one also shows it. ) A voice like yours (but in fact any
voice) you should hear in a concert hall.

Another problem is, that almost all speakers you can buy, are not made to
listen to classical music, they are made to be sold be the majority of people
who listen to some synthetically made sounds that have nothing to do with the
real beauty of the human voice. Almost all speakers introduce a harshness in
recordings that is not present on the CD, or leave out so many details it has
nothing to do with reality either. Most of them do both. (To make a speaker
show details without introducing extra harshness is very difficult.)

A reassuring thought though, might be that people who listen to audition tapes
(?!?, hopefully CD's!) should know about these difficulties and will hear a
good voice 'through' a not perfect recording.

P.S. How do you know your voice does not already have the kind of topnotes,
your voice should have, at least at your age? See above.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com