Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  4:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Tounge Position

> I have found that when I sing the tip of my tounge is anchored in the
> gum line, but when I get high the middle to back part of my tounge
> goes up with the high note. It does not feel tense and the high note
> feels free. I guess I'm just confused as to why Ms. Horne, whom I
> consider a techical master would suggest you have to keep the whole
> tounge down to the point of it being grooved.......Maybe I
> misunderstood her..........

I personally think to let the tongue be up is good. You don't want it
pressing down. I have heard from more teachers and coaches to let the
tongue be up. Look at David Jones' web site, too...
www.voiceteacher.com. He talks about the NG tongue position and how
that is healthy. I don't study with him but I agree on that point with
him. If Marilyn Horne's tongue happens to be flat and grooved, that's
her. It's not a universal thing. To keep it forward touching or even
overlapping the front bottom teeth is good.

emusic.com