Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  3:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] warmth in the top

John Alexander Blyth wrote:

> Low larynx is all very well, but if you are *forcing* it to remain low
> on
> high notes you will indeed cause tension in the area of the base of
> the
> tongue. According to Vennard, you don't need such a big resonating
> space in
> the pharynx for high notes, so it would be OK to let the larynx move
> up a
> bit.

Do you know where that is in Vennard? That does explain things... I was
thinking of making more space in the pharynx for high notes but often my
teacher will tell me my throat is open enough just to sing forward
now... but I didn't take that completely to heart. (bad me)
A really terrific coach in NY directed me to sing nasal AE as in the
French word "Vingt" and AE as in "Cat" on the very top and I find that
helpful to keep the tone clear, free and not too weighty. If I sing
pure O or AW it seems to be a little extra "noisy,"
for lack of a better word.
My teacher doesn't agree with the principle but likes the result! She
ended up saying if thinking that vowel makes the voice resonate properly
she doesn't have a problem with it.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8158 Re: warmth in the top John Alexander Blyth   Tue  1/9/2001   4 KB

emusic.com