Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  3:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] warmth in the top

Low larynx is all very well, but if you are *forcing* it to remain low on
high notes you will indeed cause tension in the area of the base of the
tongue. According to Vennard, you don't need such a big resonating space in
the pharynx for high notes, so it would be OK to let the larynx move up a
bit. The larynx needs to be pretty free and able to move if your voice is
going to have the warmth of a free vibrato.
On the subject of loudness: a big voice is big, and its pp must still be
quite penetrating and carrying. Also high note pp is still louder than a
low note pp(or even mf), just softer than your high loud notes. Good luck.
john

At 07:48 PM 1/7/01 -0700, you wrote:
...>for the top. All works well, very reliably and I am happy, but I want
>prettier high notes. There's good spin in the tone- no wobble and no
>glaring technical things going on. Am I just asking for too much here
>or can I get a prettier, rounder, clearer tone? Not to say that it is
>breathy, which it isn't. One thing that occurred to me is pressure on
>the base of the tongue. What would that sound like in the sound? ...

I have been told not to sing so loud (NOT by my teacher),
>but I can't help it. If I sing "correctly", it's just loud. ...
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com