Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  12:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] op. v. pop- the crossover factor

Dear Marcia, Mike, Lynda and co vocalisters

1st: the file Mike uploaded is on our vocalist site:
http://www.egroups.com/group/vocalist-temporary

You can log on with the email adress your vocalist mails go to, and a password
you must have chosen months ago when you subscribed. If you have forgotten it,
there is a way to let them send you this ever chosen password, just have a look.

2nd: Wagner is a bit too heavy for Kollo, but many other things for a lyrical
tenor especially operetta, he has done very well, I think. And of course
everybody sounds very relaxed if one has to sing within approx. one octave,
like most popular songs require.

3rd: Eileen Farrell does a great job when singing 'somewhere over the rainbow'.
I think this not a matter of technique, but more a matter of taking serious
what you sing, more than yourself. If you do that and of course are a good
singer, you will either sing something well, in a style that fits both you and
the music, or you just don't sing it at all. It reminds me (agin, sorry) of
Fritz Wunderlich who has done many quite kitchy things in such a way, you
forget it is kitch, because he gives so much more than the music actually
deserves, that it gets a different quality.
But Lynda Lacy is telling us this since a long time, with her quote at the end
of her emails, which I will quote this time on my turn: "Allow your voice to
serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

4th: Cecilia Bartoli gives a completely different definition of cross-over in
an interview with an opera magazine I read in the library (forgot the title,
sorry): she thinks that if you sing classical music, and make the pop audience
cross over to this music, you are a real crossover artist. I completely agree
and no matter what his reading skills are, this is something we may thank also
Pavarotti, and in a slightly different, but at least equally important way,
Dietrich Fischer Dieskau for. In this way Goerne is a real heir to DFD, because
his haircut alone seems to do the crossover trick already, in the Bartoli sense
of the word I mean.

Best greetings,

Dre

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8134 Re: op. v. pop- the crossover thomas mark montgomery   Mon  1/8/2001   2 KB

emusic.com