Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marika Mielonen" <tiikeri@s...>
"Marika Mielonen" <tiikeri@s...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  7:53 am
Subject:  Se Romeo t'uccise un figlio - a couple of questions

Dear list,

I'm practicing "Se Romeo t'uccise un figlio" from Bellini's I Capuleti
e i Montecchi". The only recorded version I've managed to find is by
Vesselina Kasarova. According the CD's cover booklet the ornamentation
used in the repeated latter part of the aria (La tremenda ultrice
spada...) is written by Rossini. In the academy's library there are
two different copies of the aria but they don't include any extra
ornamentation. Nor is the ornamentation mentioned in Ricci's books.

My questions:
1. Any hints where I could find the ornamentation (I don't think
learning by ear is an alternative!) I checked Tismusic and Sheetmusic
already.

2. If I can't find the Rossini ornamentation, should I sing the whole
aria as written by Bellini or should I make a 'cut' - and not repeat
the latter part, as the repeat without ornamentation or any other
variation does not seem to bring any added value. For a concert the
long version is of course OK but for an audition I'd really like to
either keep it short or then sing that ornamentation...

Thank you for your comments,

BR,
Marika

emusic.com