Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jan 8, 2001  5:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] op. v. pop- the crossover factor

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 MFoxy9795@a... wrote:

> > Frederica von Stade (wonderful in musical theatre ingenue roles that she's
> > recorded, like Magnolia in SHOW BOAT and Maria in SOUND OF MUSIC)
> >
> > Julia Migenes actually started her career on Broadway. She was the first
> > Hodel in the original cast of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, and also starred in
> > Charles Strouse's RAGS before "crossing over" into opera.
>
> didn't von Stade also start her career in pop before going over to opera?

Yes, I believe she did.

Another singer to add to my "avoid at all costs in crossover rep" list is
Jessye Norman. Truly clueless when it comes to Broadway or pop songs. Te
Kanawa is just dull. Norman is outright offensive.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: