Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Jan 5, 2001  6:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Voices Fading in the Fog

>From: Greypins@a...
>>
>In a message dated 1/5/2001 7:41:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>peggyh@i... writes:
>
><<
> Frankly, I'd never question anybody complaining about a foreign substance
>they have no
> choice but to inhale into their lungs! Why should they have to be
>subjected
>to that? How
> many years did it take for coal mine employers or textile employers to
>recognize black
> lung and white lung as legitimate serious employment-related health
>conditions. And
> asbestos exposure! Etc, Etc, ad infinitum.
> >>

>peggy,
> i can only speak from my own experience and yes, my experience is
>limited and may not be the norm. however, fraud exists in all walks of
>life
>and it has been my experience that the world of opera is not untainted by
>fraudulent claims. and once again, it is the fraudulent claims that
>dilute
>the legitimacy of the complaints of people who really do have problems. i
>include exageration as fraudulent.
>
>mike

I read the "Voices fading in the fog" article in the dead-tree version (SF
Chronicle), so I don't know if this appeared online. But the one *I* read
mentioned that the San Francisco Opera had gotten complaints from *audience
members* who were adversely affected by fog. (You may recall from my
earlier post that that's where I got exposed to nasty, oily stage fog.) I
would doubt that folks who can afford orchestra seats at SFO would be
subjected to conditions akin to black-lung or asbestosis. And let's face
it, the audience is paying at least SOME of the bills!

I don't think I'd want to inhale antifreeze (or chemicals related to the
stuff) even if I wasn't a singer.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

"An enemy can partially ruin a man, but it takes a well-meaning and
injudicious friend to really finish the job and make it perfect." --Mark
Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson"