Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
"Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Sat Jan 6, 2001  3:23 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Stage Fog & Church Incense

Leslie:

I have reactive airway problems so anything from cigarettes to microwave
popcorn sets off a fight or flight reaction for me, but maybe because I'm
Catholic and grew up with incense, it doesn't do the same thing. Maybe
because I associate it with beautiful music it relaxes me instead, so I
don't panic and cough. I do know that seeing airborne particles makes me
crazy, like those days when the tree pollen is hanging in the air (even
though I know if I can see it, it's too big to be triggering allergies) or
when the sunlight hits dust in the air. I think for those of us who do have
occasional trouble breathing and have had our singing affected by it,
something doesn't have to be actually bad for the voice to set off a very
real physical panic response.

Laura Sharp