Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
"Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Sat Jan 6, 2001  3:14 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Tonight on PBS

Mike wrote: "There is also something about her singing this music that
sometimes sounds a little like judy garland (the drug
years- a compliment, believe it or not). anyone else ever notice this?"

I was thinking exactly that the first time I heard the album - that sort of
back and throaty, emotionally edgy sound is so like Judy Garland. It helped
that I had watched "Meet me in St. Louis" the night before and played around
trying to imitate whatever the heck it was that Judy did that made it sound
like she was going to fall apart any minute now in "The Boy Next Door". So I
had a fresh comparison to make. You know what else I loved? In "Blues in the
Night" when she sings the "clickety-claaack" part with such a Carol Burnett
delivery.

Laura Sharp

-

emusic.com