Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Sat Jan 6, 2001  3:07 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Stage Fog & Church Incense

In a message dated 1/5/01 8:45:03 PM, LJones@s... writes:

<< This thread reminds me of a related (for me) problem: do any of you who
do
(or have done) music in high Episcopal or Catholic churches (can't remember
if Lutherans use it as well) had problems singing during a processional
while following a trail of incense? There were always a couple of us in
every choir who fought coughing fits as soon as the thurifer started
swinging.... >>

Last year I sang in a small ensemble who provided all the music for a
Tenebrae service. We sang the entire service at the back of the church, but
the priest celebrating was "generous" with the incense around the altar.
There was very little light in the room, but we watched during the service as
a cloud of the stuff started at the altar and worked its way back up the
aisle to us throughout the evening. By 11 PM that night I had no voice at
all and was sick for days. It was the last serious bout of laryngitis I
remember having.

Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com