Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Sat Jan 6, 2001  2:28 am
Subject:  Stage Fog & Church Incense

I sang with the New Orleans Opera Chorus in the mid-80's to the early 90's,
and they used the chemical fog in any number of productions (probably
because it was new). While I never lost my voice, it never failed to make
me cough, so I spent many a scene moving my lips and trying desperately to
only breathe minimally, and through my nose so it could filter a bit, until
I could get off stage and into clearer air.

This thread reminds me of a related (for me) problem: do any of you who do
(or have done) music in high Episcopal or Catholic churches (can't remember
if Lutherans use it as well) had problems singing during a processional
while following a trail of incense? There were always a couple of us in
every choir who fought coughing fits as soon as the thurifer started
swinging....

Leslie

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; Contralto
Dept. of Music, Southeast MO State Univ.
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8096 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense LYNDA313@a...   Sat  1/6/2001   3 KB
8098 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense Laura Sharp   Sat  1/6/2001   3 KB
8101 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense gwyee@r...   Sat  1/6/2001   3 KB
8102 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense Anne Cronvich   Sat  1/6/2001   2 KB
8103 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense Mezzoid@a...   Sat  1/6/2001   2 KB
8107 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense Margaret Harrison   Sat  1/6/2001   3 KB
8115 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense Lana Mountford   Sun  1/7/2001   4 KB
8135 Re: Stage Fog & Church Incense singersuki@a...   Mon  1/8/2001   2 KB

emusic.com