Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Jan 5, 2001  5:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Tonight on PBS

One thing that bothered me somewhat in the Met Don Giovanni from last week
and which irritated the hell out of me last night was Ms. Fleming's
constant 'speech-onset' for the beginning and ending of almost every
phrase she sang. I kept saying to myself 'So sing already!' Did this
bother anyone else? Normally, while not a big fan of that 'white patch'
in her upper middle, I do find her singing very alluring, though I have
come to question her knowledge of vocal style as of late (her Manon
Gavotte was very odd in style, as was some of her Mozart last week - I
mean, save the sprechstimme for verismo and Schoenberg!)

Mark Montgomery

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Karen wrote:

> I'm curious to know what others thought of this. I saw bits of it,
> and I am just exploring my own reaction which was to keep switching away
> from it.

emusic.com