Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri Jan 5, 2001  3:32 pm
Subject:  Theatrical vs.TV, was (and may still be): Tonight on PBS

I didn't see it, but I'm leaping in anyway with this:

A spectrum of gestures and style

Big theatre= big gestures, broad enunciation, but little point in making
facial gesture, beyond what happens anyway.
Small theatre= moderately big gestures, clear enunciation, exaggerated
facial gesture.
TV and film close-ups= mostly small but smooth gestures, precise
enunciation, "natural" facial gesture.
TV and film distance shots should probably be like the close=ups for
consistency.
(and much depends on how it's miked)
I think this goes for just about any style, though rock videos have
accustomed people to a wide variety of screen-styles.
5c john

At 08:02 AM 1/5/01 -0600, you wrote:
... Renee Fleming is doing her jazz/crossover thing on PBS
>>tonight...There seemed to be something in the
>communicative style which seemed to me to be overly-done for TV which
>brings the audience so close to the performer. Or perhaps it was TV itself
>which is a medium not well-suited to the vocal art.
>What do others think?
> Cheers, Karen Jensen

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8094 Re: Theatrical vs.TV, was (and may still be): Ton Karen   Sat  1/6/2001   2 KB
8161 OFF:Re: [vocalist] Theatrical vs.TV, was (and may John Alexander Blyth   Tue  1/9/2001   3 KB

emusic.com