Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Jan 5, 2001  2:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Voices Fading in the Fog

In a message dated 1/5/2001 7:41:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

<<
Frankly, I'd never question anybody complaining about a foreign substance
they have no
choice but to inhale into their lungs! Why should they have to be subjected
to that? How
many years did it take for coal mine employers or textile employers to
recognize black
lung and white lung as legitimate serious employment-related health
conditions. And
asbestos exposure! Etc, Etc, ad infinitum.

peggy,

surely you can't be comparing occasional exposure to a mineral oil
fogger to the conditions that cause black lung disease? it is exactly this
type of comparison that makes me suspicious of the degree of some singer's
complaints.

i can only speak from my own experience and yes, my experience is
limited and may not be the norm. however, fraud exists in all walks of life
and it has been my experience that the world of opera is not untainted by
fraudulent claims. and once again, it is the fraudulent claims that dilute
the legitimacy of the complaints of people who really do have problems. i
include exageration as fraudulent.

mike

emusic.com