Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Thu Jan 4, 2001  11:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Grammy Nominees?!?!

Hi, everybody

> I mean why is it that Britney Spears may have a Grammy for her pitch
> defected weak excuse for a voice when singers like James LaBrie of Dream
> Theater,

Sorry, I'm probably DT's number 1 fan, but LaBrie's vocal performance lately
isn't really that good!

Geoff Tate of Queensryche, Ray Alder of Fates Warning, and the list
> goes on will NEVER even be nominated much less win. Because it's about
> record sales and popularity NOT talent and ability.

You, just like me, like non-popular non-classical music. Live with it! I
myself prefer not to share my favorites with the crowd. When they become
very popular they tend to become TOO popular to my taste.

>I mean the guys in my band
> all attended Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA. The keyboardist and
> guitarist majored in Film Scoring and Composition. They can compose
> symphonies for God's sake!

Do you mean you're on DT yourself? ;-)

>but we will have a much more difficult time climbing up the
> ladder of success presumably than some baggy pants wearing blonde kid
> screaming about vileness.

That's what I didn't understand about your post, and has actually motivated
this one. There are musical styles, such as progressive metal, and what we
in Brazil, some Europeans and the Japanese call melodic metal ( Rhapsody,
Angra, etc ), also jazz and last but MOST ( hehe ) classical music, that are
ART, not only 'organized patterns of sound' to be provided to the masses
with serial numbers on through a HUGE commercial and industrial scheme.

I can't believe what I hear when I watch interviews with famous actors and
singers launching their movies and cds. Those actors can analyze a stupid
character as if they were doing Shakespeare, and pop artists talk about
ridiculous romantic lyrics as if they really meant anything deep, and not
the banal exposition of their shallow feelings. Gwyneth Paltrow got an Oscar
for best actress ( that was preposterous! ) when competing with Meryl Streep
( sp? ) and Fernanda Montenegro ( a Brazilian actress who's just the queen
of our theater ).

The Grammy didn't belong to B. Spears! She belonged to it!

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com