Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jan 4, 2001  8:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] SF Gate: Voices Fading in the Fog/Performers say chemicals in ...

>From: Greypins@a...
>
> i have to wonder if this isn't 'in their minds'. anytime i have
>ever
>been in a production that used a fogger, i have noticed that most of the
>visible cloud has stayed close to the ground and then drifted off into the
>orchestra pit. it seems that there would be more complaints from the
>orchestra than by the singers if these claims are legitimate.

From your description, I think you've been working with "dry ice" foggers,
which are not as irritating as the chemical ones.

I haven't had to *sing* in a production with a chemical fogger. HOWEVER, I
got a couple of bad hits from chemical foggers in productions that I
*reviewed* when I was a theater critic. One was a play about a Holocaust
survivor, staged in a tiny garage-turned-theater, in which the oily, nasty
fog pretty much covered the audience. Certainly added a new dimension to
the drama.

And no, I don't have asthma. This was worse than pollen or cigarettes.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"...and she knew that we are bound, one to another, in licentious
benevolence, for only a single day, and that day was nearly over." --John
Cheever, "Christmas Is a Sad Season for the Poor"