Vocalist.org archive

From:  ccaleffie@i...
ccaleffie@i...
Date:  Wed Jan 3, 2001  6:16 pm
Subject:  A wonderful colleague and singer has die

Hello Vocalisters,

I have been gone over the holidays and just returned to find very sad news from
friends.

If any of you knew soprano Georgia McEver, then you may or may not already know
that she passed away on December 24th. She had a brain aneurysm. She was
riding horses on her farm in Salisbury, Connecticut, put her horse in the barn
and came staggering out, when a farm hand discovered her.. She was already
dead when the ambulance reached the hospital.

She was active in performing Gilbert and Sullivan, singing and producing many
of their operettas in the New York area. She also sang the role of Susannah in
several other productions recently. We are mourning her death.

I worked with her in Carlisle Floyd's SUSANNAH, which she sang with the Long
Leaf Opera in North Carolina, just last September-October. I sang the role of
Elder Gleaton in that production and was extremely impressed with her voice and
performance. We all enjoyed working with her immensely, and I always learn
something from others in a production. This was no exception.

If any of you knew Georgia, or worked with her, please let me know. Georgia had
been battling cancer for a while, and had been free of it when she sang
Susannah with us, here in North Carolina. So, this is just stunning news.

Chris

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8039 A wonderful colleague and singer has die Ernie Valenzuela   Wed  1/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com