Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Jan 2, 2001  7:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] SLS EXERCISES

Hi, Listers

Mary Beth wrote:

> It's Billy Purnell, by the way...........

Just checking if you had a good memory ;-)

>as far as the lip bubble, if
> that is giving you fits of frustration, i.e., numb lips, itchy nose and
> slobber everywhere..:), try doing tongue trills or "rasberries".

To tell you the truth, I don't know what 'rasberries' are( if not eating
raspberries, of course! ). I've seen that referred to on the list, but I
have no idea of what that is. Could you please...?

>And for
> goodness sake, if those don't want to work, don't beat yourself up over
them,

Too late now! I'm all scars...

> move on to a different exercise. The whole point of doing lip trills,
bubbles
> etc., is to allow the lips to act as a "shock absorber" for the air
pressure
> so that the vocal folds themselves can more easily adjust for the pitch
> changes going on without having to also adjust for excess air pressure.

I'd already noticed that, but the problem was not what for ,but how! As was
said some time ago, although Seth's book describes one exercise as
'bbbbbbbb' it's actually 'bubububububububub'. "What a difference a U
makes..."

>If you do
> this, you will hear,and feel, a leak of air or hissing sound added intot
he
> bubble.

That's new to me! Go on, go on...

Thank you, Mary Beth