Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Mon Jan 1, 2001  2:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Resonance and Tone Color

Lloyd wrote:

> << With this knowledge of real vocal tract shaping for
> each vowel, we can add a knowledge of which adjustments of the vocal
tract
> will emphasize which portions of the overtone spectrum for the chosen
vowel
> so that we can more easily choose the tone quality we desire for each
note
> or phrase or style of music we sing.>>

Don't you think it has to do with speech too? I'll make myself clearer: some
speech pathologists, at least here in Brazil, giv you some exercises to
'forward' the voice based upon concepts very much similar to the ones you
suggest are, as a description of what does really happen in the body to
produce the voice, an absurd.

In order to achieve that, they make you talk with a cork in the mouth ( what
aggravated a jaw tension I already had ) and do 'forwarded' lip and tongue
trills and also exercises involving consonants like b,p,m,etc, so that your
voice is placed forward and, in the case of nasals, to also 'take your voice
up from the throat'. Isn't that bad science as well?

Thanks,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7996 Re: Resonance and Tone Color Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  1/1/2001   3 KB

emusic.com