Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Jan 1, 2001  7:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Resonance and Tone Color

>from Mike....
> i think far too much emphasis in the teaching of voice is placed on the
>construction of tone and almost none placed on the 'action' of the voice.
>the latter is often left to coaches who are, mostly, only capable of
>suggesting what to do rather than how to do it.

Which dredged up from my cranial archive the response of a prominent
opera producer when asked what was required of a voice to sing opera.
The answer.....Tone Tone and more Tone!

> if you want to look at specific vowel construction as a 'place to sing
>through', that's fine but, not at the expense of the action.

I might suggest the opposite. Only the vowels imply tone and the
transitions I sing through are wasteful of breath. Should they be?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong there too!

> (and yes, let's dump the silly stuff.)

But be sure it is silly before we replace it with something sillier huh.
Let's not forget the botch they made of renaming the octaves C1 C2 etc.
I recommend The Guinness Book of Historical Blunders
by Geoffery Regan as a warning to all reformers.
Reg.

emusic.com