Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 31, 2000  6:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: [vocalist-temporary] Purcell

In a message dated 12/31/00 12:03:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
plvdijk@i... writes:
plvdijk@i... writes:

<< O.K. I'll change the question! What are listers' favourite Henry Purcell(of
Dido and Aeneus's fame) songs, assuming that one still sings them?.Are there
any that are really, really bad and best avoided?

Regards
Susi >>

Strike the Viol! I had the fantastic good luck to have performed it with
YoYo Ma when he was still a teenager and I a twenty-something. I love that
song! Really fun!!

Please, soprano types, when you program Dido's Lament, call it Dido's Lament
and not "When I am Laid," as my college mate in Texas did. "Music for
Awhile," Peggy's or P.J.'s signature, is a gorgeous song! "The Blessed
Virgin's Expostulation" is one I've wanted to do, but have never found the
occaision. Has anyone hereabouts performed it?

emusic.com