Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sat Dec 30, 2000  11:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: [vocalist-temporary] Open throat technique.

> Help me Isabelle, I cannot understand this. If a
> voice is "solid, stable and full of core", then I
> can't visualise a need for improvement,

Hildegard Behrens. Ljuba Welitsch. Anja Silja.
Roberta Peters. These are all focused, shrill,
point-heavy voices that are solid and cored. There's
a certain Slavic shrillness that Russian singers have
(singer who sing, healthily, for years) that doesn't
appeal to the Western ear. That's what I mean by
shrill, but also solid and cored. The focus, the
point, *is* the core (the center) of the voice, and in
its young stages it is all you hear... warmth and
fatness come later.

In training, you first develop a free, brilliant,
pointy, somewhat cold, slim (but free!) tone. You do
not try to "fatten up" your sound with a bunch of
space. You do not try to darken it. Darkness and
richness come naturally, through relaxation and just
waiting until you're in your mid twenties when the
bloom of the instrument fills in.

Attempting to fatten a healthy voice will lead to an
all-over-the-place vibrato, over-covered hootiness,
and an insecure top.

Singing on the youthful health of a focused
instrument, on the other hand, will allow you years
and years of singing -- because that is the center of
the voice, the focus and point, which, before age has
added the warmth, can sound "shrill" at the top --
i.e., too cutting and piercing -- to those who don't
like voices like, say, Peters and Welitsch. Having a
vocal center that is all air and space and artificial
darkness will only lead you into vocal trouble, quick.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

7945 Re: [vocalist-temporary] Open throat technique. Ian Belsey   Sun  12/31/2000   5 KB

emusic.com