Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Dec 30, 2000  1:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: ballet and singing

In a message dated 12/29/00 10:51:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< Other styles of dance... I hate the music. Jazz and
modern dance music sends me screaming out into the
night. Tap, too. Perky, cutesy musical theater
dances make me roll my eyes. Ballroom dancing might
be fun, however. I'm just a one-track classical music
type, I guess. I like old swing (big band brass
stuff), but the new type of swing is too rocky for my
ears. That's why I picked ballet. >>

Isabel, is there a Renaissance or Baroque dance company in SF? There must be
someone who coaches period dance there. I had a stage movement class in NY
where we did wonderful courtly dances, promenades, etc. We had a great
stretching warm-up similar to yoga. There was quiet a lot to learn about
hand placement and posture. A lot depends on the period and on the dancer's
marital / social status, if I remember correctly. Now THAT goes with the
kind of music you like and is imminently relevant to opera.

emusic.com