Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Dec 30, 2000  1:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ballet for the classical singer

Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

> I could use some stage grace. I took ballet for a
> couple of years when I was young, and quit a few
> months after I got on pointe ("ouch" was the operative
> word there). I'm thinking of going back to it.
>
> I am, at this stage in my life, VERY unflexible, have
> forgotten all the moves and any sense of coordination
> or elegance, and am about 5 pounds overweight (that's
> 10 pounds in ballet language).

I am Ms. Two-Left-Feet - what helped me tremendously in stage movement and
coordination
was taking the Crittenden Opera Workshop here in Washington - he also gives it
in New
York and Boston. He has an intensive 2-week summer workshop here in Washington
and also
in Boston, I believe.

The workshop I took isn't "about" stage movement, but he focuses very much on
practical
techniques for moving around on stage. The key is having the movement (and not
just your
feet) be consistent with the music and with the phrases of the music and with
the
character being portrayed.

I'm not experienced in ballet, but the one voice student I know who has a
strong ballet
background has had great difficulty unlearning the very "held" ballet posture,
which has
not been good for her singing.

Wouldn't something like Jazzercize get the same movement/coordination benefits
as a dance
class for a lot less money and time commitment?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7939 Re: [vocalist-temporary] Alexander Technique (was M.J. Ruhl   Sat  12/30/2000   2 KB

emusic.com