Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Anne Cronvich <acronvich@h...>
Date:  Sat Dec 30, 2000  1:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ballet for the classical singer

Have you thought of Tai-Chi? I took ballet for quite a while when I was
young and I think it helped me alot with singing as far as physical
expressiveness is concerned. Probably the best thing you can do for
yourself is to work with an Alexander Teacher one on one. Also check out
Barbara Conable"s website on Bodymapping WWW.bodymap.org. She does
workshops around the country for musicians--it is based on the Alexander
Technique. I've always been the type who sings from my toes
up--emotionally speaking--I sing like a dancer--in other words although
I may be standing relatively still--my soul dances when I sing-I feel
like I could suddenly burst into dance. Just talking about it sends a
thrill through me like a burst of fireworks that starts in the center of
my torso and radiates in all directions out my arms and legs and the top
of my head. Does any of this ranting make sense to anyone out there? It
all sounds a little bizarre perhaps but there is no other way I can
describe it. Basically, just getting in touch with your body and helping
it to be in touch with your voice and vice versa, will be good for you
on many levels. I'd be inclined to avoid the ballet sismply because of
it rigidity, how about modern dance like Isadora Duncan--nothing rigid
about her. I think I have rambled enough--possibly saying nothing at all
Anne-

emusic.com