Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  11:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: ballet and singing

> another. I'm concerned that you are considering
> taking so much ballet.

It's true that other styles might be more directly
transferrable to the stage. I'm 23. I studied ballet
rather intensively (5 hours a week) when I was
younger, so it's partially a yearning to get back to
what I remember loving.

Other styles of dance... I hate the music. Jazz and
modern dance music sends me screaming out into the
night. Tap, too. Perky, cutesy musical theater
dances make me roll my eyes. Ballroom dancing might
be fun, however. I'm just a one-track classical music
type, I guess. I like old swing (big band brass
stuff), but the new type of swing is too rocky for my
ears. That's why I picked ballet.

Does my schedule seems heavy to you? I'll see how two
classes a week goes for a few months... although
taking four or five classes a week sounds perfectly
reasonable if it's my main form of exercise, right?
Adult classes at the Y are cheap and plentiful,
certainly less than aerobics classes.

But the rigorous body control of ballet might be
counterproductive to the singing structure... is that
what you're saying?

See, that's why I solicit advice from the group. Keep
it coming!

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte