Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  7:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] MUSIC CLASSES FOR DEAF PEOPLE

Just a quick note: Evelyn Glennie became deaf at the age of 12, and has
some residual hearing that allows her to hear/feel her percussion notes.
(She also reads lips well enough to determine that "60 Minutes" reporter Ed
Bradley has an American accent.) I'm assuming that Lana's valiant baritone
is in a comparable situation.

I have a little trouble believing that a person who is deaf from *birth*
would be capable of a musical avocation. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Liz

>From: Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
>From: Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
>>
>If Evelyn Glennie can manage to make a living as a serious solo concert
>percussionist while profoundly deaf, I don't see anything inherently wrong
>with
>a deaf person in a piano class. If you've never seen Evelyn Glennie in
>concert, you've missed an incredible experience. She's simply amazing!
>She
>has her own website ( http://www.evelyn.co.uk/ ), which includes an essay
>on
>deafness and music ( http://www.evelyn.co.uk/script.htm ).
>
>A young man who is both profoundly deaf and blind recently joined the
>church
>choir I direct. He'll be signing for our 11:00am service as well as singing
>in
>the choir (and signing our anthems, responses, etc. at the same time). He
>has
>a very nice baritone voice, sings on pitch (and from memory), and is an
>expressive signer. > > What a hack is a deaf person doing in a piano
>class??? Have you guys heard
> > supposing you're not that person ) of anything like that?

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

"...and she knew that we are bound, one to another, in licentious
benevolence, for only a single day, and that day was nearly over." --John
Cheever, "Christmas Is a Sad Season for the Poor"