Vocalist.org archive

From:  nubian2@h...
nubian2@h...
Date:  Fri Dec 29, 2000  4:20 pm
Subject:  For Reflux Sufferers

I must share my history as I believe it can help some of you. I used
to be a raw food vegan and eat only fruits, vegetables and nuts. One
thing I will tell you is that I sang like a bird during this period.
I am no longer on this regime. I find I NEED red meat, but I did
learn a valuable lesson.

If you don't want to spend tons of money on medicine than you can
cure reflux naturally with your diet. The more alkaline your stomach
is, the less acid it produces. The reason I sang so easily as a fruit
and vegetable eater was that my body was so alkaline, it was the only
time of my life that my chords were not being eaten alive by acid
that came from eating dairy, badly combined meals and other horrors I
was putting in my body.

Now I eat meat again, but I will tell you that I am careful about the
way I balance my body. If you do have a protein meal for dinner, do
yourself a favor and eat a stalk or two of celery. Celery is a potent
acid neutralizer. It has worked wonders for me.

So, I offer this list of things to deal with reflux naturally:

1. Okay, obviously avoiding the things mentioned here already like
tomatos sauce, chocalate and other acidid foods as well as observing
the 3 hour mark before going to bed.

2. Make sure you are eating a BALANCE of acid and alkaline foods.
This will help you so much!!!. Protein (meat and nuts and beans)
create acid so when you eat these foods you should balance them with
alkaline foods like vegetables, primarily greens - especially the
dark green vegetables like spinach, kale, and broccoli. The darker
the green, the more minerals it has and it is minerals that help
alkalinize the body. Of course celery is not so dark but it is loaded
with alkaline minerals so you should try to get in the habit of
eating a stalk or two in the evening. Also, of all the nuts, almonds
are the only ones that are alkaline - due to their high calcium
content - so if you eat nuts eat more almonds and less peanuts and
cashews.

3. Properly combine your meals. The goal here of course is for our
food to be well digested before we go to bed and the best way to do
this is to not mix protein and starches. Proteins require acid for
digestion, while starches (pasta, bread, potatoes) require alkaline
digestive juices. When acid and alkaline digestive juices meet, guess
what happens? They neutralize each other and the meal is not properly
digested leading to "TA-DA" even worse acid-reflux. This is why even
people who wait the three hours after eating still find that they
suffer from reflux. A meal that is not well digested stays in the
stomach for much longer than three hours and creates a whole bunch of
acie. I always eat meat with vegetables instead of starches and am a
result am never sleepy after eating anymore (eating meat with bread
or starches made me INCREDIBLY tired). I should add that if you
properly combine your meals, you will also lose weight and feel tons
better. I never need naps anymore and sleep for only about 6 hours.

I hope that my advice is helpful to someone. My reflux was so bad
that I couldn't sing through a song without being tired, so I
definitely know what you all are going through! I have gotten better
without medication and so can all of you!!!

Wishing you all the best of health

emusic.com